Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA)

Instructions for Filing a Third Party Grievance

NOTICE: As a Third party you are only allowed to file a grievance on behalf of an inmate that relates to sexual abuse. All other issues can only be initiated by the inmate who may be impacted by the subject of the complaint.

INSTRUCTIONS: Sexual Abuse grievances must be filed to the institution where the inmate is currently housed. Form DC1-303, Request for Administrative Remedy or Appeal, must be completed and sent to the attention of the warden of the facility. Check the box designating Warden at the top of the form. Identifying information on the top of the grievance form must be completed. Check the box designating the grievance as a third party sexual abuse grievance at the top of the form. Describe the details of the alleged incident clearly and legibly in part A of the form. As the third party that is filing the grievance you must sign and date the form in the appropriate area at the bottom of the form. To obtain the address to the institution that you are mailing the form to please go to the facility directory.

Before the grievance can proceed at the institution, the inmate that you are filing the grievance for must agree to allow the grievance to proceed. If the inmate agrees to allow the grievance to proceed, a copy of the response and disposition will be provided to the inmate in accordance with required time frames. If the inmate refuses to allow the grievance to proceed on their behalf you will be notified of that decision. Please include a preferred way to be contacted to ensure staff can notify you of the outcome of the grievance you filed. Please understand that due to restrictions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) details of the decision shared with you may be limited. If unsatisfied with the response to the grievance only the inmate is allowed to appeal to the Office of the Secretary.

If you have any questions about filing a sexual abuse grievance you may also call the Bureau of Policy Management and Inmate Appeals at (850) 717-3582.